Recipes & Meal Swaps | Traditional to Healthy: Chocolate Mousse 3-Ways
If seductively delicious is your Valentine’s dinner theme, then one of these SportPort traditional to healthy chocolate mousse recipes is the dessert you’re looking for. This romantic, creamy, airy, delicious dessert option is another of our 3-way set of recipes so you can find the right fit for your eating style.
Our traditional recipe is easy to prepare and gives you that classic delectable richness you savor, but this also means a combination of some less-than-healthy ingredients. If this is what you’re looking for then scroll right on down to the traditional recipe.
A little less fat, a little less sugar, and some added healthier ingredient swaps allows us to give you a healthier lower fat and sugar version, as well as our healthiest vegan, plant-based option for those avoiding dairy and eggs in their diet. Lighter in calories, but still with a taste that will leave your date starry-eyed! All recipes make 4 servings.
Traditional: Classic-Style Chocolate Mousse
For dessert lovers who consider mousse done best with rich chocolate creaminess, this is your traditional recipe.
1 2/3 cups heavy cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
4 egg whites
½ cup white granulated sugar
- In a large bowl beat heavy cream, vanilla extract and salt with a whisk. Continue until you can form stiff peaks with the mixture. Cover and chill in refrigerator.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Return to microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat until chocolate chips are just melted.
- In a separate large bowl, using a whisk beat egg whites until you can form soft peaks. Continue whisking as you slowly add sugar and until soft peaks are formed. Add melted chocolate and whisk thoroughly. Remove cream mixture from refrigerator and add to the egg/chocolate mixture. Whisk until completely combined.
- Separate into serving dish(es) and chill until serving.
Nutrition Information (1 Serving): Calories 466; Fat 30g; Saturated Fat 18g; Carbohydrates 44g; Protein 7g; Fiber 5g; Sodium 369mg
Healthier: Less Fat & Low Sugar Chocolate Mousse
A little less sinful when it comes to calories, fat and sugar, but still decadently delightful.
4 large egg whites
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup half-and-half
½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1 ½ cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until thickened. Whisk in sugar.
- In small saucepan, heat half-and-half over medium heat until just hot. Reduce to low heat. Add eggs to pan. Cook over low heat, stirring, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Do not boil.
- Stir in chocolate until melted. Remove from heat. Cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours until thoroughly chilled, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from refrigerator. Whisk in thawed whipped topping until completely mixed. Separate into serving dish(es) and chill until serving.
Nutrition Information (1 Serving): Calories 246; Fat 11g; Saturated Fat 7g; Carbohydrates 29g; Protein 6g; Fiber 3g; Sodium 82mg
Healthiest: Plant-Based, Vegan Chocolate Mousse
Our secret ingredient boasts nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients and you won’t even taste the green nutrient-booster in this easy-to-make recipe.
2 ripe avocados, peeled and seeded
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon chia seeds
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- In a food processor or blender combine avocado, maple syrup, cocoa powder, almond milk, vanilla extra and chia seeds and sea salt. Mix until you reach a smooth texture.
- Spoon mixture into desired serving dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Information (1 Serving): Calories 235; Fat 13g; Saturated Fat 2g; Carbohydrates 31g; Protein 4g; Fiber 8g; Sodium 17mg
Whichever recipe you choose, try dressing it up for the romantic holiday and enjoy to your hearts content! Our suggestion: Serve in a clear bowl or sexy champagne flute sprinkled with shaved dark chocolate and raspberries. Happy Valentine’s Day… or any day to enjoy!