Knowledge Base | Timeline Studies for Health & Safety Issues in Cell Phone Use
Find the latest timelines and up-to-date studies & information from the Knowledge Base of articles from SportPort to help support the current known facts about EMF radiation, cell phone safety as relate to human health and safety:
2020: Environmental Health Trust: Cell Phone Radiation Health Effects Questions
- As of 2020, several expert independent scientists have published their evaluation that the evidence has increased and this radiation is a human carcinogen.
EHTrust article can be found at: https://ehtrust.org/key-issues/cell-phoneswireless/cell-phone-radiation-health-effects-questions/
2019: National Library of Medicine: Health effects of Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Fields (RF EMF)
- The possible adverse health effects of exposure to RF EMF are a source of great concern not only among mobile phone users and people living in the vicinity of the base stations, but also among governmental and non-governmental organizations responsible for public health.
- The problem of health effects of RF EMF has not been definitively resolved, but due to the results of previous research on possible health effect of RF EMF, it seems necessary to use precautionary principles and ALARA (As Low as Reasonably Achievable) principles, when the new sources of electromagnetic emissions will be planned and installed.
NIH/NLM article can be found at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6685799/
2018: National Library of Medicine: Electromagnetic Fields, Pulsed Radiofrequency Radiation, and Epigenetics: How Wireless Technologies May Affect Childhood Development
- New epigenetic studies are profiled in this review to account for some neurodevelopmental and neurobehavioral changes due to exposure to wireless technologies.
- Symptoms of retarded memory, learning, cognition, attention, and behavioral problems have been reported in numerous studies and are similarly manifested in autism and attention deficit hyperactivity disorders, as a result of EMF and RFR exposures where both epigenetic drivers and genetic (DNA) damage are likely contributors.
The NIH/NLM article can be found at: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28504324/
2016: Mercola Offers Information: Latest Radio Frequency Study Adds Credibility to Concerns About Cell Phone Hazards
- In 2011, the WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) declared the radiation emitted by cell phones and wireless devices a Group 2B “Possible Carcinogen,” based on the available research
- 72 percent of industry-funded studies failed to discern any biological effect from cell phone radiation exposure, whereas 67 percent of independent studies did find biological effects
- Most recently, the National Toxicology Program, an interagency research program, based at the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences concluded that whole body exposure to cell phone radiation likely caused heart and brain cancer in male rats
- This large animal study supports the growing body of science showing an association between cell phone radiation and brain tumors
Mercola article can be found at: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/06/15/cell-phone-radiation-effects.aspx
2013: EWG Offers: Guide to Safer Cell Phone Use: Executive Summary
The EWG guide suggests that there are more than 4 billion people around the world use cell phones. Because cell phone technology has been around for just two decades, scientists do not yet fully understand long-term health risks from cell phone EMF radiation. But research has prompted serious concerns about exposure to wireless emissions.
EWG notes some of the following studies linked to cell phone radiation:
- Brain cancer
- Salivary gland tumors
- Behavioral problems
- Migraines and vertigo
The EWG report goes on to say that scientists around the world have associated significantly increased health problems with using cell phones for 10 years or longer. Scientists have known for decades that high doses of the radio frequency EMF radiation emitted by cell phones can penetrate the body, heat tissues, trigger behavioral problems and damage sensitive tissues like the eyeball and testicles. Yet when cell phones went on the market in the 1980s, federal regulators did not require manufacturers to prove they were safe. Some studies raise particular concerns about the impact of cell phone EMF radiation emissions on children. Research scientists showed that under standard conditions of use, twice as much cell phone radiation would penetrate a child’s thinner, softer skull than an adult’s. These results confirm earlier findings that children’s heads absorb more radiofrequency radiation than adults.
EWG report can be found at: http://www.ewg.org/research/cellphoneradiation/executivesummary