Knowledge Base | Cell Phone Radiation Facts Sheet
Cell Phone Radiation
- Electromagnetic fields are a type of radiation that we are exposed to daily from various household objects, including our cell phones.
- Cell phones have been listed as a possible carcinogen by the World Health Organization with key facts listed as:
- Mobile phone use is ubiquitous with an estimated 6.9 billion subscriptions globally.
- The electromagnetic fields produced by mobile phones are classified by the International Agency for Research on Cancer as possibly carcinogenic to humans.
- Studies are ongoing to more fully assess potential long-term effects of mobile phone use.
- WHO will conduct a formal risk assessment of all studied health outcomes from radiofrequency fields exposure by 2016.
LATEST CELL PHONE RADIATION RESEARCH BREAKDOWN
- Studies are ongoing to assess long-term health effects of cell phone use on humans.
- The radiation emitted from wireless devices could cause brain cancer, according to a multi-year study from the federal National Toxicology Program with updates in 2018.
- Two types of tumors were found in male rats after several years of exposure to the radio-frequencies commonly emitted by cell phones.
Q: Why is using a cell phone potentially harmful?
A: Using a cell phone over the course of your lifetime exposes you to radio-frequency radiation for an extended period of time.
Q: What does exposure to radio-frequency radiation do to your health?
A: It increases the risk of cancer and can alter brain metabolism.
Q: Why aren’t there warnings about cell phone use?
A: There are. Read the fine print in your device manual. It is recommended by manufacturers to keep your cell phone away from your head while talking on it. Get the rundown on this from Anderson Cooper 360: Phones and the Dangers of Cancer.
Q: Is a cell phone dangerous when it’s not being used?
A: Yes. Your safest best is to turn your phone completely off when it’s not being used. Otherwise, make sure it stays a distance away from your body.
Q: What can you do to protect yourself from cell phone radiation dangers?
- Wear wired headsets or use the speaker function to make calls.
- Carry your phone in an EMF protected storage. The SportPort™ Zephyr Sports Tank Top and all of the SportPort™ Sports Bras with Pockets feature a cell phone pocket with patented design technology that helps form a barrier between your body and radiation from your device, lessening your body's exposure.
- Don’t store the phone close to your body.
- If your children use your device for games or videos, put device in airplane mode.
- Turn your phone off when you won’t be using it and keep it a safe distance away from you.
Q: How can you stay on top of the latest research on cell phone radiation?
A: Check out SportPort's Knowledge Base of Information to stay updated on public health and safety concerns for cell phone use, RF exposure, safe-distance concerns, and more!
- National Cancer Institute: Cell Phones and Cancer Risk
- Cellphone-Cancer Link Found in Government Study
- Electromagnetic Fields and Public Health: Mobile Phones
- Landmark Federal Study: Cell Phone Radiation Linked to Brain Cancer
- Why We Need More Research on Cell Phone Safety
- NCI Statement: International Agency for Research on Cancer Classification of Cell Phones as “Possible Carcinogen”